This course is an introduction to the process of negotiating, drafting and ratifying different kinds of contracts through practical advice and approaches. Participants will have a real opportunity to experience the process of negotiation, to gain understanding of international commercial contracts, and to gain skills important for drafting contracts and protection of client interests, in the event of disputes arising from a commercial contract. The course will examine case studies in the context of Armenia.
After taking this course you will:
- Gain a full understanding of the contract negotiation process: what the required knowledge, skills, and capabilities are
- Understand the importance of lawyer-client agreement
- Have a command of the roles and responsibilities of lawyers, including the use of standard and non-standard contract types, identification of unique client needs and requirements, etc.
- Master the differences in contract language and ratification process (in person; by mail; and by fax; use of different languages; differences among conventions; obligations of parties; terms of payment; force majeure; disputes between parties; and other useful tips)
- Draft contracts by using “Incoterms”
- Become proficient in providing for “Arbitration” arrangements, the differences between commercial arbitration courts and national courts.
- Draw up or order “Legal opinion”
Class Schedule: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, 7:00PM-9:00PM
Total class hours: 14 hours / 7 days
Course fee: AMD 64,000 for the entire course
Course Handouts and Instruction Languages: The course is taught in Armenian and English.
About the Instructor: Dr. Artyom Petrosyan is a startup entrepreneur, successfully running a Children’s Entertainment and Development Center in Yerevan. His professional experience includes a position of the Head of Legal Department at Spayka Holding, and subsequently of the Senior Lawyer at Vallex Group. Dr. Petrosyan has graduated from the Russian-Armenian Slavonic University, Law Department in 2006. In 2009 he received the Doctor of Law degree. From 2010 to 2011 he studied at the University of Strasbourg, Robert Shuman, School of Law. Artyom is studying Executive MBA at Skolkovo Moscow Business School. He is the author of many articles, he participated in more than 40 court proceedings in arbitration, commercial courts of European Union countries (France, Belgium, Germany, and Switzerland) and the Russian Federation.
Enrollment: To enroll in AUA Extension courses, please go through the following steps (see below for the Armenian version):
- Visit im.aua.am.
- Create an account by clicking New User Registration.
- If you are not a new user and already have an AUA account (having previously taken the AUA e-Math Test or applied to AUA), you should log into the account that you had created at that time.
- If you just registered as a new user, you will get an email asking to activate your account.
- Now, for registering to take a course, go to the Open Education tab, choose Extension, then Extension Applications, and apply for the course(s) you choose.
- After you register online, your application will be reviewed and you will receive an email acknowledging your application.
- Closer to the course start date, you will receive another email confirming your enrollment, requesting that you make payment before the course start date. The fee can be paid online via credit card or through the EasyPay terminal (located at the entrance to AUA). Alternatively, you may pay the fee via bank transfer to the American University of Armenia Fund, account 001-006402-001, HSBC Bank Armenia, indicating your full name (as in the registration) and the course you are paying for.
- The completed application together with the record of payment completes your enrollment.