ENGLISH PROFICIENCY FOR ACADEMIC SUCCESS
This course offers conditionally accepted students the opportunity to improve their English proficiency, as well as develop their basic academic skills for academic success.
The course sharpens English proficiency and develops basic academic skills for university education at the graduate and undergraduate levels. The primary goal of this course is to equip students with an understanding and a basic grasp of fundamental techniques of academic writing, speaking, reading and listening. Thus, students are introduced to the principles of effective written and oral communication, as well as critical reading and listening skills. The course simultaneously improves competence in grammar and vocabulary. Participants will learn how to write commentary, summaries, and how to synthesize text from different sources. Concurrent with developing English proficiency participants learn how to reference sources, and how to develop bibliography (different citation styles, MLA, APA, Chicago, etc.).
The course objectives are:
- To improve English language proficiency for academic success at AUA
- To develop academic skills in preparation for the AUA learning experience
Session I runs July 3 to August 9, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 10:00-13:00
Session II runs August 2 – 23, Monday through Friday, 13:00-16:00
Fee: 50,000 AMD
Enrollment: To enroll in AUA Extension courses, please go through the following steps (see below for the Armenian version):
- Visit im.aua.am.
- Create an account by clicking New User Registration.
- If you are not a new user and already have an AUA account (having previously taken the AUA e-Math Test or applied to AUA), you should log into the account that you had created at that time.
- If you just registered as a new user, you will get an email asking to activate your account.
- Now, for registering to take a course, choose the Extension tab, then Extension Applications, and apply for the course(s) you choose.
- After you register online, your application will be reviewed and you will receive an email acknowledging your application.
- Closer to the course start date, you will receive another email confirming your enrollment, requesting that you make payment before the course start date. The fee can be paid online via credit card or through the EasyPay terminal (located at the entrance to AUA). Alternatively, you may pay the fee via bank transfer to American University of Armenia Fund, account 001-006402-001, HSBC Bank Armenia, indicating your full name (as in the registration) and the course you are paying for.
- The completed application together with the record of payment completes your enrollment.