In this course you will gain understanding on international legal terminology in English, basic legal concepts and general aspects of different legal systems. The course focuses on the practical application of legal English within professional activities. You will have hands-on exposure to contract terminology and statutory language in different jurisdictions. The course will also teach you to perform legal practice skills in English which relate to law topics ranging from company formation and management, contract negotiation and remedies to intellectual property and employment issues.
In this course you will:
- Advance your skills in understanding and applying legal concepts and terminology in English
- Become familiar with and properly apply English legal terms to describe various areas of the law in a precise manner.
- Have hands-on exposure to contract terminology, statutory language, comparison of concepts in different jurisdictions, and legal letter/email writing.
Target Audience: Non-native English speaking lawyers, paralegals, other legal professionals, public administrators working in courts, law students, commercial loan officers, legal reviewers and translators.
Duration: 9 weeks, 18 hours
Fee: AMD 40,000
About the trainer: Alina Petrosyan has earned her LLM from the Law Department of American University of Armenia and has taken professional training in law and policy at the Faculty of Law, Hebrew University of Jerusalem in Israel. She has attended a number of legal seminars in Florence and Rome and has ten years of experience in teaching English for specific purposes. Her previous professional experience includes working at the Ministry of Justice and currently lecturing at Mkhitar Heratsi Yerevan State Medical University. She has regularly conducted Legal English workshops at the AUA Law Department. Alina Petrosyan has authored about twenty peer-reviewed articles on the specific usage of forensic concepts, terms and metaphors.
Enrollment: To enroll in AUA Extension courses, please go through the following steps (see below for the Armenian version):
- Visit im.aua.am.
- Create an account by clicking New User Registration.
- If you are not a new user and already have an AUA account (having previously taken the AUA e-Math Test or applied to AUA), you should log into the account that you had created at that time.
- If you just registered as a new user, you will get an email asking to activate your account.
- Now, for registering to take a course, choose the Extension tab, then Extension Applications, and apply for the course(s) you choose.
- After you register online, your application will be reviewed and you will receive an email acknowledging your application.
- Closer to the course start date, you will receive another email confirming your enrollment, requesting that you make payment before the course start date. The fee can be paid online via credit card or through the EasyPay terminal (located at the entrance to AUA). Alternatively, you may pay the fee via bank transfer to American University of Armenia Fund, account 001-006402-001, HSBC Bank Armenia, indicating your full name (as in the registration) and the course you are paying for.
- The completed application together with the record of payment completes your enrollment.