This is an intensive course in research methods with a dual emphasis on the following: (1) comprehension of the qualitative methodology of research in political science, and (2) understanding sampling, constructing data collection instruments, as well as analysis and interpretation skills. As a part of these two components, the course focuses on qualitative research geared to uncovering trends in public positions and opinions, and delve deeper into observed problems. The course covers several qualitative data collection methods, including unstructured or semi-structured techniques, such as focus groups, individual interviews, and participant observations. The quantitative research methods touch upon working with different samples, analysis and presentation using tables and graphs. The teaching methodology used in this course is learning by doing, with lectures and guided feedback, accompanied by group work and individual practice assignments.
Registration fee: AMD 15,000
About the instructor: Arpie G. Balian holds a business degree from the American University of Beirut, a Master’s in Executive Leadership from the American University, Washington D.C., and a doctorate from the University of Southern California in Planning, Policy, and Development. She has held leadership positions in the U.S. government for over 15 years. She has also taught courses in strategic planning, performance management, and other performance-related courses in the U.S. government as well as in several institutes and universities both in the U.S. and in Armenia. She has conducted over 100 workshops in Argentina, Europe, North America, and the Middle East. Dr. Balian has extensive experience in applications of modern concepts of HR management.
Enrollment: To enroll in AUA Extension courses, please go through the following steps (see below for the Armenian version):
- Visit im.aua.am.
- Create an account by clicking New User Registration.
- If you are not a new user and already have an AUA account (having previously taken the AUA e-Math Test or applied to AUA), you should log into the account that you had created at that time.
- If you just registered as a new user, you will get an email asking to activate your account.
- Now, for registering to take a course, go to the Open Education tab, choose Extension, then Extension Applications, and apply for the course(s) you choose.
- After you register online, your application will be reviewed and you will receive an email acknowledging your application.
- Closer to the course start date, you will receive another email confirming your enrollment, requesting that you make payment before the course start date. The fee can be paid online via credit card or through the EasyPay terminal (located at the entrance to AUA). Alternatively, you may pay the fee via bank transfer to the American University of Armenia Fund, account 001-006402-001, HSBC Bank Armenia, indicating your full name (as in the registration) and the course you are paying for.
- The completed application together with the record of payment completes your enrollment.