In this course, we are going to learn the building blocks of graphic design so we can master something more complex later on. We are going to break down graphic design into its basic components. Image, Type, Composition, Color, Visual logic. These fundamentals are relevant to every specialized area of graphic design.
We are also going to make something. After all, if we want to design, we become makers. Preferably makers of both – form and meaning!
This course is meant to be a general introduction to the topic and is suitable for students with little to no experience in design. Knowing how to create and deliver visual messages is beneficial for a person working in any field.
As the end of the course, participants will have a clear idea of the process of graphic design. They will also gain basic knowledge of computer-based graphic design tools. They will be able to generate images, work with typography, understand the basic rules of shapes and colors, and be able to build composition out of all these to create concepts and convey visual messages.
Start date: February 5, 2019
End date: February 28, 2019
Duration: 16 hours
Schedule: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 18:30-20:30
Fee: 58,000 AMD
About the Instructor: Lilit Altunyan is a graphic designer, author-illustrator and animator. In 2018 as an Art director at DEEM Communication, she carried out with her team 10 museum re-branding program in partnership with My Armenia Program. She has been working in a graphic design field for more than 8 years, creating festival identities like Sunchild International Environmental Film Festival’s several editions and Hartak Festival.
As children’s author-illustrator her first picture book was published by Zangak Publishing House in 2017. Lilit has completed her Master’s degree in Fine Arts in Armenia, followed by studying graphic design illustration and animation in ENAAI Art University in France.
Enrollment: To enroll in AUA Extension courses, please go through the following steps (see below for the Armenian version):
- Visit im.aua.am.
- Create an account by clicking New User Registration.
- If you are not a new user and already have an AUA account (having previously taken the AUA e-Math Test or applied to AUA), you should log into the account that you had created at that time.
- If you just registered as a new user, you will get an email asking to activate your account.
- Now, for registering to take a course, go to the Open Education tab, choose Extension, then Extension Applications, and apply for the course(s) you choose.
- After you register online, your application will be reviewed and you will receive an email acknowledging your application.
- Closer to the course start date, you will receive another email confirming your enrollment, requesting that you make payment before the course start date. The fee can be paid online via credit card or through the EasyPay terminal (located at the entrance to AUA). Alternatively, you may pay the fee via bank transfer to the American University of Armenia Fund, account 001-006402-001, HSBC Bank Armenia, indicating your full name (as in the registration) and the course you are paying for.
- The completed application together with the record of payment completes your enrollment.