- Writing well: is the pyramid standing in these shaking times?
- Is journalism still alive?
- How social media changed how the journalism works.
- Asking the right questions to yourself
- The art of doubting
- Strategizing while writing: all best journalist do that.
- Dramaturgy of an article/ reportage
Writing is the basis of journalism, real journalism without talking heads and empty rhetoric. Most of young people Anna used to work with want to become journalists only for popularity and fame on TV avoiding hard work in newsrooms. But there is an old but true theory that the best journalists are those whose career started with newspaper articles. And not only for month or two, but at least for 3-5 years. This is the right base to start with and the right way to collect credit. This is also the tough school of life that any journalist needs.
During the course, the audience will have an opportunity to get acquainted with the basic principles of creating texts, they will learn to ask exact questions to the right addressees and first of all to themselves. They will learn about the role of dramaturgy in articles they write and, finally, will try to come up with the answer to the question: “Is journalism still alive, or in recent years, with the advent of social networks it is not needed anymore as a profession?”
The presented course is designed for journalists, as well as for those who would like to improve their writing skills; everyone who is interested in creating content in print/ online issues or social media.
Writing is now a fashion trend. People go crazy about expressing their own opinions on social networks from housewives to students, even juniors. Writing high quality texts is not a rocket science, but for some reasons few people in our country can boast being recognized as serious content creators… The training is designed to take 16 hours; it includes video materials, case studies, debates, quizzes and teamwork.
Start date: September 13, 2018,
End date: September 29, 2018
Schedule: Tuesdays, Thursdays, 18:30 – 20:30; Saturdays, 11:00 – 13:00
Duration: 16 hours
Course fee: 35,000
Instructor’s bio: Anna Satyan is a Deputy Edior-in-Chief at “Novoe Vremya” social- political newspaper. She started her career as a journalist in 2000 and simultaneously worked as an expert and coordinator for several journalistic, international programs such as IREX/ ProMedia Yerevan and IREX/ Media Support Program Armenia. Anna has an experience of working as a professor at Russian-Armenian (Slavonic) University, participated in various international forums, seminars and workshops in Europe and the US. For seven years Anna was accredited as a reporter at Armenian National Assembly. Besides she has been covering election campaigns, protests, official visits and other events.
Enrollment: To enroll in AUA Extension courses, please go through the following steps (see below for the Armenian version):
- Visit im.aua.am.
- Create an account by clicking New User Registration.
- If you are not a new user and already have an AUA account (having previously taken the AUA e-Math Test or applied to AUA), you should log into the account that you had created at that time.
- If you just registered as a new user, you will get an email asking to activate your account.
- Now, for registering to take a course, choose the Extension tab, then Extension Applications, and apply for the course(s) you choose.
- After you register online, your application will be reviewed and you will receive an email acknowledging your application.
- Closer to the course start date, you will receive another email confirming your enrollment, requesting that you make payment before the course start date. The fee can be paid online via credit card or through the EasyPay terminal (located at the entrance to AUA). Alternatively, you may pay the fee via bank transfer to American University of Armenia Fund, account 001-006402-001, HSBC Bank Armenia, indicating your full name (as in the registration) and the course you are paying for.
- The completed application together with the record of payment completes your enrollment.