The given course is designed to explore the speech techniques, strategies and devices for making an impact on the target audience and gaining consensus. It gives a thorough understanding of the peculiarities of language implementation in the sphere of political communication. It provides participants with the theoretical basis and practical skills to identify relevant speech strategies in political discourse, and skills to structure speeches using the aforementioned techniques. The training is designed to take 18 hours; it includes video materials, case studies, debates, quizzes, role play and teamwork. The language of instruction is English.
The course includes lively and engaging discussions. It focuses on vivid examples of manipulative gimmicks as well as strategic techniques that have proved to be successful in political text and talk. At the end of the course, participants will have a clear idea of how to structure a speech and to verbally influence the target audience. This will be useful to participants practising and/or interested in political science because they can directly apply their knowledge in speech writing, image making and public speaking. Also, it will develop and raise awareness of the logical fallacies that may occur in communication.
Schedule: Mondays & Fridays, 18:30 – 21:30
Duration: 18 hours
Fee: 42,000 AMD
Language of instruction: English
About the Instructor: Zarine Avetisyan has been working in diverse educational settings for more than 9 years. She holds a PhD in Philology. For many years she has lectured in Psycholinguistics, Theory and Practice of Translation Studies, Lexicology, Semasiology, Typology and a number of ESP and practical subjects. Zarine has designed a series of lectures in political discourse analysis and represented her research at international conferences in Dubai and Prague.
Enrollment: To enroll in AUA Extension courses, please go through the following steps (see below for the Armenian version):
- Visit im.aua.am.
- Create an account by clicking New User Registration.
- If you are not a new user and already have an AUA account (having previously taken the AUA e-Math Test or applied to AUA), you should log into the account that you had created at that time.
- If you just registered as a new user, you will get an email asking to activate your account.
- Now, for registering to take a course, go to the Open Education tab, choose Extension, then Extension Applications, and apply for the course(s) you choose.
- After you register online, your application will be reviewed and you will receive an email acknowledging your application.
- Closer to the course start date, you will receive another email confirming your enrollment, requesting that you make payment before the course start date. The fee can be paid online via credit card or through the EasyPay terminal (located at the entrance to AUA). Alternatively, you may pay the fee via bank transfer to the American University of Armenia Fund, account 001-006402-001, HSBC Bank Armenia, indicating your full name (as in the registration) and the course you are paying for.
- The completed application together with the record of payment completes your enrollment.